I thought I would start a new series: TBT Layouts. A series where I share layouts I made last year when I was trying to figure out scrapbooking.
This was my first ever layout, a 8.5×11. I had been doing mix media for about a year when I realized that I really wanted to try scrapbooking. My only problem was I didn’t own any scrapbooking supplies. I decided make what I could, starting with the background. I used a piece of card stock that I painted with a bright green acrylic paint.
Then, I worked on embellishing my layout. Both of the images above are close ups of my homemade embellishments. The first photo is a cluster of deli paper flowers that were on an envelope I received in the mail. I fussy cut them out to use in the corner of the photo. The next DIY embellishment is the watercolor butterflies. Two butterflies with smiley faces are stickers I had bought at the dollar tree. I loved the faces but the wings were to big to work on the layout. I did a light pink wash over a piece of copy paper, that I hand cut out into shapes of butterflies. The last embellishment is also the title of the layout, the spring flower. The word spring is a sticker that someone sent me in happy mail. I cut a round shape out of the watercolor wash to use as the center. The petals of the flower are really two post-it flowers that I also hand cut to use.
I don’t feel this layout is the best looking but one that helped me start scrapbooking. Each item was made with love. I hope you enjoyed.
This layout was inspired by a sketch by Sketches In Thyme. I love getting an email with all their sketches and ideas. When I saw the sketch back in February, I knew the sketch would work well for Valentine’s Day. Then I saw the background paper with the printed banner, and the layout just came together.
I wasn’t actually sure how Valentine’s Day was going to go this year. With my illness, winter is the worst for me so I am usually in bed about 80% of the months. Luckily, this year was a mild winter so I was able to have more good days. James and I decided to have a casual holiday by renting Redbox movies and eating a ton of Publix Cupcakes. I know totally bad but so yummy. I love how the second photos is a shot into our lives, eating cupcakes in the parking. Which we couldn’t wait to eat.
This layout was one that just fell together nicely. I was really inspired by The Crafty Maven Getaway, Sketches In Thyme, and the elements I pulled for the layout. Both the Crafty Maven and Sketches In Thyme had inspirational pieces that involved circles. I really liked the idea but I’m not a big person on circles or dots. When I realized that I had an Easter layout to make and could use the eggs instead of circles, then the layout just fit together.
When I thought about how God told me my word of the year was Peace, I thought of different things He might want me to achieve. As I sat in Him and listen, I hear Him whisper ‘I want you to count your blessings’. At first I wasn’t sure how that could bring me peace but I obeyed. I obeyed out of the respect I have for the Lord and out of the fact that counting what I am grateful would never harm me. As week one turned into week two I noticed small actions that might have gone unnoticed. I started to count many more blessings in one day. I was learning to let myself not come to anger, fear, and anxiety as easily. I was thanking God for all that He has made, small or large.
What an incredible month of blessings it has been.
- Holy Bible
- Donald, the local duck
- Sketch App for android
- My inhaler
- Hot Water
- Happy Mail
- Michaels Haul
- Fresh Air
- VC Andrews Movies
- David Bowie
- Clean Carpets
- Phone with Mom
- Robin Sighting
- New Blog
- Stamp Ink
- Fiona, stuffed giraffe
- Early Morning
- Stars Wars 4 & 5
- Butter Nose, a raccoons
- Gilmore Girls Return!!
- Neko Atsume, a kitty app
- Mini Storage Trays
My birthday was Monday, the day I usually try to post but skipped this week.
I feel I should write something profound, embark some wisdom or knowledge or maybe a few of my funny stories I have. Maybe I will. I don’t really have plans for this post.
I guess I never saw myself hitting this number. When I was younger, all I could image was turning 16, get my licence and drive away. Of course, several events happened that caused me to stay and I’m grateful for that. However, I still never saw myself at 25. If I did see myself, it was a blurry image of a single mom with so many kids, broken and alone.
Praise God that He has a plans for us! That His plan is bright and splendid.
Now I’m 25. I learn more about myself and the world around me everyday. I don’t know where I will be in 5 years but that’s okay. I know God is wonderful. I know that with God in charge of my life, I can drive though the night with headlights off (metaphorically speaking). I have a joy and peace in Him. Amen? Amen!
So no art this week but next.
This post is long due to all the text. However, I will update the list of art journaling classes I participate in through the year.
FREE Year Long Classes
- Journal52 – Weekly “Journal52 is a free, year long art journaling workshop. Join 10 000 + members as we take on the prompts week by week throughout the year.”
- TMD-DNA – Bi-Weekly “Take Me Deeper-DNA™ is a bi-weekly devotional that will prompt us to spend time in God’s word. Each devotional week you will get the opportunity to translate the bible study into art. Every Friday HKC will post a verse, devotional, worship video and examples of how we interpreted the bible study in our art. The weeks that do not have a devotion, a “creative prompt” will be provided by a guest artist. The creative prompt will be based on an “I am” statement that will help us go deeper in finding out our “DNA” in Christ. We pray that these 52 weeks will change how you approach, engage and apply God’s word in your life and art. At the end of the year regardless of how many weeks your participated, you will have created a legacy of the faith walk. This legacy will show you how God has moved in your life!”
- Documented Faith – Weekly “I send out an email and post on a website a monthly “word” to focus on and a verse each month that goes with that word. If the only thing you do is read it, that’s great. If you want to journal everyday, once a week or once a month about it, that is great. If you want to create something based on it, perfect. If you want to add it to your journal, planner or binder that is great too. YOU can make up the rules for this. YOU can do what you want, when you want. This is a personal journey of faith and a personal relationship between YOU & Jesus that you are “documenting” in YOUR OWN WAY. This is not about a religion.”
- Logos365 – Monthly “His Kingdom Come believes that there is great power in the Word of God. Many people choose one word that represents what they want to see more of in their life during a year. There are websites and books dedicated to this. New Year resolutions come and go very quickly, but this process is allowing God to work in your life and for your focus to become His word for you that lasts an entire year in your life. People choose this word through thoughts or through a word occurring in their reading or devotion time that “speaks” to them. At His Kingdom Come we believe that God will guide us to what he wants to see more of in our lives during the year. The logos365™ project is our way of finding your word through prayer, bible study and reflection.”
- Paint Plan & Chronicle – Weekly
- Jennie Bellies Journal Challenge – Monthly “This is a monthly art journaling challenge group. At thebeginning of every month I will post the new challenge in a link further down this page. To acquaint yourself with all the ins and outs of this group please watch the introductory video.”
- Explorations Of Me – Monthly
- Colour Me Positive – Weekly “Our post will include our positive quote for the week for inspiration. It will also include an extra/optional challenge prompt. We will put up some examples of pages we have done with the quote as inspiration, some of which will also incorporate the extra challenge. These pages are purely to show you what we have done and how we have interpreted the challenge in our own journals. What you create is entirely up to you. You can take a word from the quote, a feeling, a colour, the extra prompt, all of the above or nothing at all. I repeat, it is entirely up to you what format it takes, what mediums you use and what direction you take. We can’t wait to see what you do with it!”
Free Inspiration Ideas/ Classes
- En Masse
- 2016 Magical Yearbook – “If we find a way to be more conscious of our day to day life, by getting intentional about what we want from life, then things can look a lot different. That’s why I want to create a yearbook – so I have something to steer me in the right direction for the year ahead. Whenever I feel aimless, bored, disconnected – the yearbook will serve as a map to get me back on course.”
- Sacred Soul Journaling – “This is not simply about visualising our goals for the future for manifesting, but it is about connecting to that part of ourselves where our mind meets our heart: our soul. It is about getting to know ourselves on a deeper, spiritual level so that we can garner the strength and courage we need to make positive changes in our lives.”
- Self-Love for the Soul – “Cultivating a sense of love for ourselves is the most important work we will do. After all the years that I have struggled against myself, I have come to the conclusion that self-love is the solution to all of my problems. Whatever the issue, it always leads back to self-love – always. Well, to be more exact…a lack of self-love. And I know it isn’t just me…”
- Mixed Media Morsels – “Mixed Media Morsels is a new video series where I’ll be showing (and together we’ll be doing) lots of fun techniques in mixed media art on a small scale. After a while, we will have a full notebook of little yummies that we can refer to later for inspiration. So get yourself a small notebook and some basic supplies, and come play along! No commitment is required, and there are no rules, except, of course, to relax and have FUN!”
- Derwent Academy
Paid For YEAR Long Classes
- Lifebook 2016 – ““Life Book, a celebration and honouring of YOU” is a year-long mixed media art class organised by Tamara Laporte from Willowing Arts. Tam is joined by 23 incredible art teachers who are all gearing up to share their mixed media techniques, tips and tricks with YOU! Themed around self-development and healing, you’ll be creating several loose mixed media art journal pages per month which by the end of the year you will bind into a glorious journal (a Life Book)! You will have a wonderful keepsake that you can treasure for the rest of your life!”
- Documented Life Project 2016: Unplanner
My word for 2016 is Eireneuo.
It all started at the beginning of December. I made a drastic change that I felt God was calling me to do and afterwards the overwhelming feeling of peace was enough to convince me that I was following his will. Psalm 119:165-167 “Those who love Your law have great peace, And nothing causes them to stumble. I hope for Your salvation, O Lord, And do Your commandments. My soul keeps Your testimonies, And I love them exceedingly.”
Then just as I feeling and loving this peace from God, I was given a test to shake my faith. The first was my mother-in-laws cats as both passed unexpectedly fast and so close to the Holiday season. I understand that death is part of life, Ecclesiastes 12:7 “and the dust returns to the earth as it was, and the spirit returns to God who gave it”, yet that doesn’t make their passing easier. We do not find enjoyment in death. However, God has given us the keys to death through His Son; John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life”. In Him I found peace during that difficult time.
The second test happened when my brother, Soren, had a seizure and had to be admitted to the hospital. If God was ever giving me a test, I feel this would be the one. Currently, I live two hours from him so going to visit him often is hard. I feel guilty when my brother is in the hospital because I can’t be there to help my family as they need. However, I can have peace in God that He will provide the strength (Isaiah 40:29) and community (Psalm 133:1) that my family needs. I can be the praying pillar for my family. (Philippians 4:6-9) Guess what? God did just that and more! Soren was found blemish-less (Micah ).
Through all of those, I felt only the power of peace that can be found when I remembered how big our God is, Psalm 157:5 “Great is our Lord, and abundant in power; his understanding is beyond measure”. I felt God calling me all through December. He was saying abide in Him (John 15:4-7) and I find the rest that peace provides (Isaiah 57:2).